Friday, December 19, 2008

Run A Mile For Dan

Right after Thanksgiving, my friend Dan Moores of the Auburn Running Company in Auburn CA was diagnosed with leukemia. Quite a shock to say the least. How this disease picks its targets is beyond me. Dan, besides being a wonderfully generous person, is an accomplished ultra runner. I just cant say enough about Dan and how much I appreciate having people like him in my life. As an example, I am not what you would consider a known figure in the world of ultra marathons - just the opposite actually. However, every time Dan and I cross paths he always goes out of his way to say hello and see how I'm doing. Whit Rambach is like this too. These guys don't need to know me from Adam but always say hi when they see me. As my Grandpa used to say "They've got a spot by my campfire for life".
Dan and I have exchanged emails over the past few weeks as he bides his time in the hospital waiting to hear the results of the chemo therapy treatments.
**UPDATE - as I write this blog, Dan emailed me with the news that his hospital stay has been extended another month - more chemo slated. Damn.**
Anyway, his coworker Matt Keyes has organized a fundraiser scheduled for January 3rd and I am going to do everything I can to generate some funds for Dan's cause.
Click on RUN A MILE FOR DAN for all of the event information. I hope to see everyone at the Placer High School track on January 3rd at 8:00 am!

No comments: