Saturday, December 13, 2008

More Info....Why the blog?

Last month, I finally admitted to myself that I have an obsession with the Western States 100 and that if it's the last thing I do, I need to complete the race. Simply put, I have unfinished business with that trail and the score needs settling. The dnf in 2006, while at the time made sense and was what I considered to be my best option, has set up camp in my mind and can't be bumped out until I do right by this race. With the rising popularity of ultra events and the WS100 in particular, it may be a long time before I get another swing but I have decided to go after it - time and cost be damned. What's really hard to swallow about the dnf is that I know my legs were there to get me to the finish, however I had lost my will to run. Truth is, I was quitting all the way from Millers defeat (mile 35) but didn't actually leave the course until Michigan Bluff (mile 55). it was a HOT day but that's not why I quit. I quit because I lacked the mental toughness to continue once I hit my first mental rough patch of the race. I felt great all the way to Robinsons Flat...leaving there things changed and now I think I know why.

My history as an ultra runner and a runner in general has been an inconsistent series of being inspired to run and getting into decent shape, combined with periods (several months sometimes) of no running at all and falling out of shape. For some reason, I have not been able to maintain the training consistency I believe I need in order to run 100 mile ultras. Physical?? Mental?? I think I burn myself out.

Well here I am again, inspired to run and thinking this will be the time I remain consistent. I have several races/events on my calendar for 2009 for which I am now training. The goal is to keep it fun and be patient.

Why blog it? I'm thinking if I memorialize my training, in my mind the training becomes part of the goal instead of just focusing on the 100 mile distance. I believe if I can patiently chip away at the process, while keeping track of the experience through this blog, the process will be the focus and ultimately bagging the 100 mile distance will simply be a nice by product of the training I put in. Sounds reasonable and nothing I have tried before - hence the blog...but really more like a fun training diary with pictures.

No comments: