Friday, January 16, 2009

The Results

Hi RAMFD’rs

If you are receiving this email it’s because you are one of the generous people that made a donation to the Run A Mile For Dan fundraiser. I want to say thank you very much for stepping up to help a friend in need. I have to confess that I underestimated your generosity. When deciding to do something for Dan, I thought that if I could get everyone in, $500 would be in the range of possibilities. With our current economy I wasn’t sure but I thought it could be done. It turns out we more than doubled that figure. Our total contribution was $1,050.00 and all was sent in on Monday with a couple follow up checks being sent in later today.

I have attached an email received from Dan today to bring you up to speed on his progress. I feel like I need to tell you that I feel blown away by your willingness to help someone you don’t even know just because you recognized he needed help. It’s humbling. It just is.

Thank you,

Bill

Dan,

There you are! Great to hear from you. Bald head? Nice. Actually, a couple years ago I used to clipper mine to the nub and loved it. However, my appearance scared the crap out of some folks and my wife didn’t dig it too much either. Given our physical similarities, I’m guessing your attracting reactions in kind. Talk about simplicity though.

It was a group effort. Happy to help – it’s the least we could do. I’m fortunate to have compassionate friends that want to step up. Great people, all of them. Glad you’re home. Bill

From: auburnrunningco@sbcglobal.net [mailto:auburnrunningco@sbcglobal.net] Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 9:37 AMTo: Bill CottonSubject: RE: Checking on you

Hey man, were you in town?? Sorry I missed you, I was sent home on Friday and have been gearing up for the next treatment, which starts middle of next week. And where did all those funds come from?? Bill, I can’t thank you enough. Your kindness and generosity are beyond what anyone could hope for. Thank you very much. This will go a long way when that final bill comes in, and it’s coming. The sooner I’m done with this the sooner I can get on with my life.

The fundraiser in general was incredible, I just never would have imagined such a response. First of all I didn’t realize I knew so many people, and then underestimated how close this running community really is. Folks I don’t even know contributing! What do you say? Day after day my wife and I are in amazement from all this. So many people came together to make this happen, I can only hope I get the opportunity to pay it forward and be there for someone else one day.

Thanks again Bill, you have gone above and beyond my friend. Unless you’ve shaved your head, I doubt anyone would think we look alike now!

Take care,
Dan

From: Bill Cotton [mailto:William.Cotton@darrigo.com] Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:34 AMTo: auburnrunningco@sbcglobal.netSubject: Checking on you

Dan,

Just sending off an email here to say hello and see how you’re doing. I have to tell you that the Run A Mile For Dan event was really something awesome to be a part of. You have a huge amount of people that are really pulling for you bro so just do your thing while you’re stuck there, stay positive, patient and I know all will work out fine.

Take care Dan.

Bill

No comments: